Wednesday 30 December 2009

Cash v Tournaments

One question that I have never really found an entirely satisfactory answer for is that of what is more suitable for me personally; cash games or tournaments?
Its really remained a debatable topic due to a severe lack of bankroll management on my part. The majority of my success in the past two years has come via cash tables, whether it be online or live. However, I use "success" on a purely financial level. What I would consider to the "real" success has come via tournaments. Whether it be in live tournaments, through 45mans, 180's or an ordinary MTT, I have, critically, always consistently done better.

That said, given the nature of my personality, the financial lure of the cash tables, coupled with obvious time constraints led me to explore the enormity of the question. Having read various articles on the subject this week I thought the best way was to find out myself. Naturally, prior to recent adventures in the poker world, the financial success has come as a result of me taking shots, whether it be tilt-induced or otherwise. For old times sake lets say, I renewed this enthusiasm and took to the 50/1 tables whilst at Phil's house the other day. Break-even more or less over two sessions. My logic was engulfed in the idea of earning a quick buck, which ultimately led to being +$100 and then -$85 in the next session, so all-in-all I learnt nothing.

As a result I decided to do the same today, 6-tabling 50NL. I probably played near 1000 hands and suffered a net loss of approximately $40. However, it taught me enough. There is a far greater level of dead money in tournaments than there are in the stakes I am rolled for in ring games. The regulars, at least on Stars, really know their stuff and I feel as though I'd have to put in enormous volume in order to get anywhere and that isn't a fast process...
Despite my "experiment" being relatively short-lived, I feel pretty satisfied in my decision to stick with MTT grinding, at least for now. Despite the variance in them being high, I can, strangely, live with one session totalling a buy-in of some $100 and not seeing any return. However, my mindset in the cash games seemed ill-equipped in being able to cope with the loss, albeit such a measly one! One day I will expand on that quote but right now all I can say is I feel more confident with MTTs given my determination over the last few months to improve my game.

One would hope that MTTs will offer me a quicker way of reaching my short-term goals. If I was to grind 50NL I would hazard a guess it would take me far longer to reach my ultimate 2010 goal of $10,000, then it would if I was to invest my roll in MTTs. Personally, that is the decision I set out with and one that I intend to stick to.

Let's hope that decision is rewarded with lots of lovely profit!

No comments:

Post a Comment